Sunday, April 27, 2008

I love it

Hi Folks,

Just a short update to let you all know that I am in Portland now. I've been here just over a week and already in this time much has happened.

I've re-built an old speed bike to my taste, re-kindled my old friendships and made many new ones. My housemates are very sweet and I've been to a farm, hiking in the gorge, seen some of my local waterfalls, helped with kitchen work, done yoga, been very busy gardening, learned about the different types of mushrooms there are, met with local artists, been interviewed on the Oregon public radio station on my thoughts concerning politics, bought basic furniture, registered to vote, surveyed the job market, ordered a new laptop, delighted in the plethora of flowering trees [many-many sakura - cherry blossom trees!], watched a wonderful movie called "the cruise" which I would highly recommend, sat around many camp fires [its legal here to have a camp fire in your backyard!], done a 6 mile bike ride up a very steep road, received 2 massages and exchanged numbers with a third person interested in exchanges, visited a local democratic party rally, developed my plan for what art work I want to produce, bought a new book on computer programming/SE engineering, seen children and friends stilt walking, flaming fire whips and fire spinners for the first time and much-much-much more...

It's strange, living in Portland feels like living permanently at burning man...

I REALLY love it here, and I am so incredibly happy to be in Portland! I'm only just starting to realize that I live here, I think things will become much more concrete once I get a job [or any source of income for that mater]; but I am confident this will come with time...
:)

It looks as if there are also good opportunities to make an income from art here as no one needs a license to sell at the bi monthly art-fairs.

For the most part I am focussed on making the right choices that will manifest the best outcome. One's initial reactions, actions, choices are SO important when you start anything. And like any relationship, how one interacts with a new country/city is most vital in the initial stages because it is from this initial base that all roots will be sown.

This is a very exciting time to be in, more from me soon!

Seb.

p.s. here is a photo of my new speed bike! This picture was taken before I added new fenders, bike rack, changed a break cable and did some other minor tweaks like adding a nice bell...
:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Ik ben blij voor je Seb!!! Ik zie het al helemaal voor me, jij op je blauwe fiets op ontdekkingstocht, vol verwondering en vertrouwen. Dikke kus!

Anonymous said...

Hey Seb.. Het gaat je goed zie ik. Portland, how come?

Ed